The inaugural series, Breaking the Spanish Barrier has helped students achieve their language goals for over two decades.
The all-in-one textbook/workbook is the centerpiece of our language curriculum. The workbook teaches essential vocabulary, grammar fundamentals and up-to-date cultural information. The core text is everything you need for a full year’s course.
Featuring thoughtful exercises, an exciting adventure series, authentic audio from native speakers, and a comprehensive testing program, our curriculum offers everything needed for language mastery. Upon completion of the three-level series, students will have practiced every important topic in Spanish and have the confidence to read, write, and speak fluently.
Breaking the Spanish Barrier is available in both print or online formats. Many students purchase both to access the unique learning tools available through Breaking the Spanish Barrier Online.
Breaking the Spanish Barrier Online:
The online textbook integrates audio, video, cultural articles, answers, beautiful pictures of sites of interest, and notable people from Spanish speaking countries. The exercises are interactive. A student can click on any single answer, see immediately if he/she is right or wrong, and view the correction. There are also responsive flashcards with audio, oral questions, and video instructional capsules. But the content -- explanations, exercises, dialogues are exactly the same as the print book. Online access provides students tools that appeal to different learning styles, especially auditory and visual learners.
LEVEL 1 (BEGINNER):
- The “First Steps” lesson also presents all the sounds of the Spanish language so that students can develop an authentic accent. Theme-based vocabulary offers students opportunities to learn words relevant to their daily lives at home, school, and beyond.
- An action-packed dialogue series appears throughout the book offering students reading and listening comprehension practice.
Throughout the chapters, easy-to-understand explanations unravel these essential building blocks of language:
- nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, conjunctions, and prepositions
- the present, preterite, imperfect, and progressive tenses
- formal commands
Review a sample print chapter of Level 1 and here to view a sample online chapter.
Click here for the table of contents of Level 1.
LEVEL 2 (INTERMEDIATE)
- New lists of vocabulary further expand students’ ability to describe the world around them.
- An adventure series also is featured in Level 2 as characters travel to exciting new places with unexpected twists and turns.
- Written in the same student-friendly style as Level 1, the new material in Level 2 includes the following grammatical concepts:
- the future, conditional, present perfect, pluperfect, present subjunctive, and pluperfect subjunctive
- indefinites, demonstratives, and reflexive pronouns
- informal commands, comparisons
Review a sample chapter of Level 2 and here to view a sample online chapter..
Click here for the table of contents.
LEVEL 3 (ADVANCED)
The Level 3 / Advanced book targets students in their 3rd or 4th year of Spanish. It is a text that highlights all they key grammar found on AP, SAT II, IB, or college placement tests. In, fact, author John Conner used to help write the AP tests!
- Continuing the strategies established in the first two books in the series, the Advanced Level begins by reviewing the major present, past, conditional and future tenses. Cultural articles with comprehension exercises help students get to know stories from people around the world. You will also find:
- all perfect tenses, including the present perfect, pluperfect, future perfect and conditional perfect
- the subjunctive mood (with commands, verbs of emotion, hypothetical situations, adverbial phrases)
- comparatives, the passive voice, “if clauses,” punctuation, and uses of the infinitive
- intriguing vocabulary, with special focus on adjectives in early chapters, followed by nouns, verbs, and idiomatic expressions
Our Advanced book makes certain that every student – whether formally enrolled in school or studying independently – has all the rules he or she will ever need to know about the Spanish language. It fully equips students for a lifetime of pleasurable and authentic contact with the Hispanic world.
Review a sample chapter of Level 3 and and here to view a sample online chapter. Click here for the table of contents.